What do dreams about flying mean?
Flying dreams are one of the top 10 dream themes reported by dreamers and may symbolize feeling “high”, being happy in general or feeling good about something specific in waking life.
Interpretations of flying dreams
- Dreams of flying may represent high hopes; feeling that nothing can hold you down or keep you from reaching your goals; and could indicate that you are feeling in control of your life and your emotions. Usually a sense of euphoria or freedom is felt when flying in dreams, perhaps signifying you have freed yourself of a sticky situation or have achieved a recent goal. Freud saw flying as representing sexual release.
- Dreaming you are airborne may indicate you are reaching new heights or levels of achievement in your career or you may be reaching higher levels of spirituality or consciousness; may also represent attaining or reaching for your high ideals or goals in life.
- Alternately, flying may be compensating for a lack of freedom in waking life or may suggest you are overlooking or avoiding something. It may also suggest that you need to see things from a higher perspective or to look at the big picture. While flying you may also be looking down on or feeling negatively about something or someone, possibly yourself.
Having Trouble Flying in Dreams
- Finding yourself able to fly only a few feet off the ground in dreams may be an indication that something is holding you down or holding you back in life or something is preventing you from reaching a goal. It may also symbolize a fear of succeeding or a fear to express yourself.
- Dreams about flying into wires or losing control may symbolize concerns and anxieties about the completion of a waking life goal or project or may be suggesting that you are focusing on things that could go wrong in life.